25th October 2015
A delicious, toasted muesli made with raw oats, golden honey and crunchy nuts & seeds. Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and add some chopped, fresh fruit such as berries or banana, for a perfectly healthy start to your day.
- 250ml oats
- 125ml dessicated coconut
- 125ml raw, whole almonds
- 125ml raw, whole hazelnuts
- 125ml sunflower seeds
- 80ml pumpkin seeds
- 80ml flaked almonds
- 10ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml ground mixed spice
- 1¼ml ground nutmeg
- 60ml apple / apricot / orange juice
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 125ml (a little less) runny honey
- Small pinch of salt (optional)
- Switch on the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare a large, shallow baking tray by greasing with a thin layer of light vegetable oil and removing any excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients, stirring well until all the honey dissolves.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until thoroughly moistened.
- Turn the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and spread in a thin, even layer.
- Place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring thoroughly half-way through the cooking time.
- Allow to cool completely before sealing in air-tight jars.
- Keep for up to two weeks.
Serving toasted, wheat-free muesli
- This muesli is delicious served with thick, Greek yoghurt or a splash of milk.
- Grated apple, chopped strawberries and / or bananas add a fresh, sweet taste.
- Add a handful of raisins or chopped, dried apricots for variation.
- Or try it with some Spicy, stewed apple.
Sarah’s Tips for the best wheat-free muesli!
- I store my nuts and seeds in air-tight jars on the top shelf of my fridge in order to prevent the oils from becoming rancid.
- Try a different combinations of nuts such as pecans, walnuts or cashews.
- Nuts and seeds must always be raw and unsalted.
- I add a small pinch of salt to the wet ingredients (so that it dissolves properly) in order to enhance the flavours.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper so that it is easier to tip the muesli into jars once it has cooled down.
- VERY EASY
- Preparation: 10 - 12 minutes
- Cooking: 25 minutes + cooling time
- Allergens: Gluten, nuts
- 12 - 14 servings
- NB: This wheat-free muesli does contain gluten (oats) and is therefore not gluten-free.