9th July 2015
Recipes for chicken breasts on the bone seem quite difficult to find, so creativity was the order of the day ~ chicken breasts baked on a bed of vegetables dotted with butter, simmered in white wine and seasoned generously. The results were wonderful ~ moist, succulent chicken and meltingly soft leeks and fennel ~ fabulous if you're a fennel fan!
- A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts on the bone, skin on
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, quartered
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed and cut into 1cm slices
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed with a knife, skin on
- 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- 60 - 75ml of dry white wine or good chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle the bottom of a baking dish with some of the olive oil.
- Place all the prepared vegetables in the dish, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Toss together so that everything is nicely coated and seasoned and then make sure that the vegetables are spread in an even layer across the bottom of the dish.
- Dot with a few of small blocks of butter.
- Place the chicken breasts on top with the skin side up and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Sprinkle over the dried sage and lightly season, bearing in mind that the vegetables are already seasoned.
- Put a couple of small blocks of butter on top of the breasts and gently pour the wine or stock in and around the vegetables.
- Cover the dish with tin foil, shiny side facing down, and place in the pre-heated oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked and golden and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove any garlic skins and let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serve with some plain white rice ~ I prefer Basmati ~ and some steamed green veg or a plain green salad. Pour some of the juices over the chicken and serve the balance separately.
- Preparation: Approximately 10-15 minutes
- Cooking: Approximately 1¼ hours, depending on the thickness of the breasts, & resting time
- Allergens: None
- Serves 2