10th July 2018
Always moreish! The meringue is a lovely light, slightly golden colour, crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Lots of whipped cream and a selection of berries, both sweet and slightly tart, topped with a sprinkling of freshly chopped mint make this a delightful, summer dessert.
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250ml whipped cream
- 1 cup of mixed berries ~ strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or blackberries
- A few sprigs of fresh, finely chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Line a baking tray with tinned foil that has been lightly greased and dusted with cornflour. Shake off any excess cornflour and mark an 18 to 20 centimetre circle on the foil.
- Beat the egg whites in a spotlessly clean and dry bowl.
- When the egg whites are foaming and starting to form soft peaks, add the sugar gradually beating well until it dissolves.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Test by holding the bowl upside down over your head!
- Spread the meringue on the foil, building up the sides and leaving a slight hollow in the centre.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1½ hours then turn off the oven and open the door ~ leave the meringue to cool.
- To assemble the Pavlova, whip the cream with a teaspoon of caster sugar until thick.
- Spread over the top of the meringue and place your selection of berries on top of the cream.
- Sprinkle over the finely chopped mint and serve.
- Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature ~ they will whisk better.
- Take the berries out of the fridge up to an hour before you use them. I find that they taste better and are juicier at room temperature.
- I only assemble the Pavlova within ½ hour of serving otherwise I think the meringue softens.
- Preparation: 15 - 20 minutes
- Cooking: 1½ hours + cooling time + assembly
- Allergens: Lactose and egg
- Serves 6 - 8