25th October 2015
Simple and delicious, this is a quick and easy recipe to make, great with breakfast or as a light dessert. Serve with toasted muesli and thick, Greek yoghurt or a splash of milk. Alternatively, try it its own, with a dollop of custard, a drizzle of cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- 4 -5 medium apples, peeled and cored
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 15 - 30ml water
- 30ml honey
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml ground mixed spice
- 1¼ml ground nutmeg
- 2 - 3 whole cloves
- 3 - 4 whole cardamom pods
- A handful of raisins or golden sultanas (optional)
- Slice the apples into quarters and then into quarters again.
- Place in a saucepan with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent the apples oxidising and turning brown.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mixing well and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Half cover and leave to cook on a relatively low heat until just softened - approximately 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate and keep for up to a week.
Serving spicy, stewed apple
- This spicy, stewed apple is delicious served with toasted muesli and thick, Greek yoghurt or a splash of milk.
- It can also be eaten on its own, with a dollop of custard, a drizzle of cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- VERY EASY
- Preparation: 10 - 12 minutes
- Cooking: 12 - 15 minutes + cooling time
- Allergens: None
- 6 - 8 servings